Monday, December 30, 2013

Wankers in Ghent

Wankers!  I like this term, it may be inherently British, but the Americanized version (Jack-Offs) is so crude.  Wankers is almost polite in comparison, and at the same time it totally captures the idea of someone focusing on their own pleasure, irregardless of their surroundings.  This is the vibe I got at a recent show here in Norfolk.

First off - I like Norfolk.  I don't live there, but I live close enough that I can be downtown in two shakes of a lambs tail, and I would prefer to grab a beer or catch a local act in the 'Real' downtown, than in any of the surrounding 'cities.'  

Second - I really like the local music scene here.  It's very eclectic; pop-punk, Americana, Folk-rock, country, blues, a little hardcore here and there.  Now I don't usually go for R&B. I do not like Rap, Country, Metal, or Screamo.  I do have more than a little soft spot for the retro sounds of my 80's upbringing.

Third - I really, really, really like the craft beer renaissance going on in Ghent.

Now the problem is this; I'm not really a hipster... that's not a bad thing, but it does mean my expectations might a little different than what the local 'kids' are willing to put up with.   So, I have a full-time job, and I make decent money - this means my free time is precious to me, and I'm used to voting with my wallet (that means I'm willing to pay for what I like).  It also means I don't like it when I feel I'm not getting what I paid for.

So here's the deal - I spend some of my precious time looking at Guapo's Listing for the weekend shows.  I convince my Lady to go out with me.  I play her some samples of some of the different band's track so she can pick one, and we settle on a show.  I'm excited, she's excited, I'm vested here!

We meet friends for a drink, grab a light dinner downtown and head to the venue. We order drinks and then...

we wait...

and wait...

The openers start to set up...

They buy beers...

They chat with some of their friends in the crowd...

They even do a sound-check...

Showtime comes...

and goes...

They drink their beers...chat with their friends, pretty much like they rented the place for a private party...

Meanwhile I've finished my beer...I'm getting bored...and I'm thinking about asking the door guy for my cover back.

I ask the server (nice whiskers), and he says he'll check.  He comes back and says they'll start in a few minutes, or he'll give me my cover back.

The band actually moves to the stage, intros and then plays.  Finally!

The music is good, great rythm, beat, ...but I can't make out a word any of them is singing.  We strain to hear syllables, but it's no use.  Their friends seem to be digging it, but I am now less than thrilled and we bail.  Now this was just the openers that weren't even advertised, so I've totally bailed on the group we had actually come to hear.

Losers = the venue (no more of my precious cash), me (missed out on the show I had vested in)

Winners - "Wankers!"  I'm sure they had a great time, and all their friends will tell them they were great...but if there are others out there that vote with their wallets...

Wankers will always come up short!


No comments:

Post a Comment